This was originally from a website dedicated to a negative review of experiences with Mahoosuc Realty and specifically Ron Savage. I have modified it to also include my negative experiences. Ron Savage is a builder that builds mostly log-cabin style homes near Sunday River Ski resort.
I had such a bad experience with Mahoosuc Realty and I have heard of so many bad reviews from others that I decided to put up this post to warn potential buyers and renters to STAY AWAY from Mahoosuc Realty and Ron/Rick Savage. This posting is my review and my opinion. I have since sold the property that I purchased from them.
If you are looking for a home in the Bethel/Newry Maine area, no doubt you have seen log homes built by Rick/Ron Savage as they have built the majority of log-sided homes there. Ron is the owner of Mahoosuc Realty, and I highly recommend you STAY AWAY and buy from any other home-builder and use any other realtor in Bethel! I am not the only one that has had bad experiences, almost every homeowner that I have spoken to has had problems. Ron also lists his unsold inventory for rent and many renters have also had issues, finding out that a home they were planning to use had been sold! I know this because I used to rent my home out and potential buyers would frequently call at the last minute and tell me about how they rented a home from Mahoosuc (apparently also now known as Maine Ski Lodging Co).
Surprisingly, not only does Mahoosuc Realty share an office at 16 Parkway with Maine Ski Lodging Company, they also share an office with Dow’s Law Office (confirmed with Google Street View). AND on the “About Us” page for David C Dow it says that he is an approved agent of First American Title Insurance Company, putting Ron Savage in the fast-track to get title insurance without hassles! I am not saying this isn’t legal, but it seems like a clear conflict of interest to me. Again, this is just my opinion on the matter.
In my opinion, if you currently have your home for sale on the MLS and are using Mahoosuc Realty you should seriously think about using another broker. In my opinion the reason Ron Savage bought Mahoosuc Realty was to push their new homes before anyone else’s. If you go to buy a home that Mahoosuc doesn’t own, they make sure to undercut you and will make any promise necessary to get the sale (they did this to me). I was promised many things to convince me to buy and nothing was done.
Many promises were made to get me to sign. Virtually none were kept. I heard this story all the time from other buyers, Mahoosuc makes promises and doesn’t keep them.
Problems I have had with Mahoosuc Realty / Ron Savage:
- I was convinced to not use a REALTOR at purchase because they are REALTORS, this was done so that they could earn more profit. This ended up with me not being fully protected at purchase, always use a REALTOR if the sellers have one!
- I was promised many items before closing, including cutting down trees, fixing relatively small home warranty items, fixing grading of driveway, and more. None of these items were ever done.
- I was promised work after closing, such as home staining (log homes need to be stained every few years), and many more items. Some of these items I waited over a year to be done, and were never addressed even after multiple messages and promises to be done. I ended up fixing most items myself, even for items that I was going to pay them to do.
If you do some research, you can see many poor examples such as:
- Bethel files civil action against local developers (local copy if page goes down)
- Rick Savage arrested on charges that include terrorizing (local copy) saved from Internet Archive, originally from Bethel Citizen. My personal favorite, includes a voicemail where Ron threatens to show up wearing a speedo on a boat 5 feet from someone’s waterfront property.
- Bethel man files wrongful arrest suit against town, Oxford County Sheriff (local copy if page goes down)
- Bethel Town Manager Calls The Sheriff Because The Western Maine Woods Are Still Full Of Savages (local copy in case page goes down)
I wouldn’t list my house with Mahoosuc Realty
When I was looking a few years ago to buy my vacation home, I noticed that I was being steered to purchase a new log home by Mahoosuc Realty / Ron Savage over a used (less than 5yrs old) home. The reason was always that the new home was better, or that they would match the price. Which got me thinking, why would you list your home for sale with Mahoosuc if they are going to badmouth you to potential buyers?
At the time, I was using a REALTOR from another brokerage to look, and they wouldn’t allow my REALTOR to show the property without them, in fact they told me in private that they would give me a better deal if I got rid of my agent!
Ron Savage didn’t originally own Mahoosuc Realty, he was just another homebuilder in Newry/Bethel. Since most of the homes built in the area are by his and his brother’s company, I guess it made sense to buy a real estate company, and he chose to buy Mahoosuc Realty (or merge or something).
If you currently have your home for sale on the MLS and are using Mahoosuc Realty you should seriously think about using another broker, in my opinion the reason Savage bought Mahoosuc Realty was to push their new homes before anyone else’s. If you go to buy a home that Mahoosuc doesn’t own, they make sure to undercut you and will make any promise necessary to get the sale. I was promised many things to convince me to buy and nothing was done. I was told that they would make the best deal for me over any used home if I would buy a new one from them!
So if you have a used home for sale, why would you use a company that seems to have no intention to sell it?
Lawsuit over View Restriction
When I first purchased my vacation home in Bethel, I was concerned over the lot in front and blocking the view. Ron assured me that he wouldn’t put a house right in front, and offered a view restriction so that I would be able to approve any home being built in front of mine. He broke his promise, I ended up suing Ron Savage for breaking terms of the view restriction I had. After much hassle we settled and Ron paid me money.
In the end, I decided to sell my vacation home in Bethel. I just listed it on Zillow as for sale by owner, and sold it in about a month. I got tired of seeing Ron Savage around town and overall decided the cost of keeping the home wasn’t worth it. Don’t make the same mistakes I did!